Yates and Others

George W. Yates

George W. Yates

Male 1840 - 1864  (24 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name George W. Yates 
    Born 27 May 1840  Crawford, Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 26 Oct 1864  Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Oakwood Cemetery, Wilmington, Will, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I3104  Yatesville History & Genealogy
    Last Modified 8 Feb 2018 

    Father James Yates,   b. 1796, Barren, Kentucky Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1865, Crawford, Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years) 
    Mother Mary Ann Butler,   b. 1792, Barren, Kentucky Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1865, Crawford, Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years) 
    Married 7 Jan 1819  Crawford, Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F905  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Eliza Jane Rockwell,   b. Abt 1846, Vermont Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Aug 1870, Will, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 24 years) 
    Married 16 Jun 1863  Will, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 11 May 2022 
    Family ID F1760  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos


  • Notes 
    • 1850 United States Federal Census Name: James Yates Age: 54 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796 Birth Place: Kentucky Gender: Male Home in 1850: Union, Crawford, Indiana James Yates 54 Mary Yates 58 Catharine Yates 16 Benjamin Yates 13 George Yates 10

      James Yates b.1796 was part of the general migration of the Yates family from Kentucky to Crawford County in the early 19th century. We have records that indicate that James married Mary Ann Butler b.1792. Mary was a widow who had previously married William Irvin when they resided in Barren County, Kentucky. James and Mary were married January 7, 1819 in Crawford County, Indiana. Our best judgment at this writing is that James and Marry produced six children: John b.1825, Silas b.1827, Elias b.1829, Catherine b.1834, Benjamin b1837 and George b.1840.

      Three brothers will migrate to Illinois perhaps drawn by the work in coal fields, land speculation or other interests. In 1860 we find Silas and his wife Jane, Elias and his wife Rachel and we find George who will marry Eliza Jane Rockwell living in Will County, Illinois. This migration is how we find three good Crawford County men residing in and serving in Illinois military units. George elected to serve in the 39th Illinois Infantry and Elias served in the 100th Illinois Infantry.

      The 39th Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, IL and mustered in October 11, 1861 then moved from to Hancock, Md., December 11, 1861 for guard duty on Baltimore and Ohio R. R. till January, 1862. Moved to Cumberland, Md., January 5 then advanced on Winchester, Va., March 7-15. Reconnaissance and operations throughout the Shenandoah Valley; marched to Fredericksburg, Va. then on to Fortress Monroe, Va., August 16-22, and duty there till September 1, 1862. Moved to Suffolk, Va. and there until January, 1863.

      The 39th moved to New Berne, N. C. January 23, 1863 then to Port Royal, S. C., Camp at St. Helena Island, S. C., and then an expedition against Charleston, S.C. April 7-13 with occupation of Folly Island, S. C. April 13 to July 10, 1863. It was during this time that George took a leave and was home and married Eliz Jane Rockwell on June 16, 1863. Conducted attacks on Morris Island, S. C. July 10 with assaults on Fort Wagner, Morris Island, S. C., July 11 and 18. Then siege work of Forts Wagner and Gregg, Morris Island, S. C., and operations against Fort Sumpter and Charleston July 18-September 7, 1863.

      Capture of Forts Wagner and Gregg, September 7 and siege operations against Charleston, S. C., until October 1863. Duty at Folly Island, S. C., and at Hilton Head, S. C. until April, 1864. On January 1st George Yates reenlisted for 3 years and also was promoted to Corporal. The 39th veterans went on furlough home January 1 to February 3, 1864. They then moved from Chicago to Washington, D. C., then to Yorktown, Va. Work against Petersburg and Richmond May 5-June 15; occupation of Bermuda Hundred and City Point May 5, 1864; Chester Station June 6-7; Weir Bottom Church May 9; Swift Creek May 9-10 and Proctor's and Palmer's Creeks and Drury's Bluff May 12-16, 1864.

      Siege operations were conducted against Petersburg and Richmond June 16, 1864 through April 2, 1865. Operations conducted on the Bermuda Hundred front till August 14, 1864. On August 16, 1864 George W. Yates was given a field promotion from Corporal to Sergeant for gallant conduct. The 39th are in the trenches in Petersburg, VA August 25-September 27; Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 28-30. Then Darbytown Road October 13, 1864. On October 13, Union forces advanced to find and feel the new Confederate defensive line in front of Richmond.

      While mostly a battle of skirmishers, a Federal brigade assaulted fortifications north of Darbytown Road and was repulsed with heavy casualties. The Federals retired to their entrenched lines along New Market Road. It was during this assault that George W. Yates was seriously wounded by gunshot and was taken prisoner. His wounds were so severe that he was rapidly paroled and returned to the Federal forces for treatment. We know from his records that he was transported to the City Point, VA area and medically evacuated by the USS Steamer New York. He was processed through Parole Island near Annapolis, Maryland and admitted to USA Hospital Division #2. At the age of 24 on October 26, 1864, George died from his wounds. He was buried but subsequently reburied at Oakwood Cemetery in Wilmington, IL.

      Speaking at a 39th Illinois reunion held in February 4, 1885, Sergeant D.H. Slage made the following remarks regarding the events at Darbytown Road October 13, 1864:

      "At 2:00 P.M. we are in front of the enemy's works at Darbytown Crossroads. Our regiment and brigade are deployed in close column by division; the order comes down the line to charge! You all recall that terrible YELL, as we made the assault through the brush, the air seeming filled with whizzing bullets, the scream of solid shot and shell, the rattle and sweep of grape and canister through our ranks. Comrades fell on our right and on our left; we find the "Johnnies" too many. Their forces behind protected works outnumber ours two to one. The old brigade find they cannot take the works this time, and are compelled to fall back and re-form their line. That day I and many others were wounded and made prisoners.

      Color-Sergeant George W. Yates who sleeps in the cemetery nearby in Will County, that day received his fatal wounds and was made prisoner. I was transferred in the same ambulance with him to Richmond; blood from his wounds trickling along the pike the entire distance from Darbytown battlefield to the city, he having received four severe wounds that proved fatal a few days after our parole and arrival at Annapolis, Maryland.

      You will recollect that just before the order came to make the assault our mail arrived and was distributed. His company was on the skirmish line; their letters had been handed to Sergeant Yates, of the color-guard, who placed them in his left breast coat-pocket. In the assault he received a bullet which pierced those letters and also his watch, and penetrated his side, the letters turning the bullet away from the heart. The next day I noticed those letters saturated with blood, and I have often wondered if they ever reached the parties to whom they were addressed, or whether the writers ever knew that their letters had helped to turn a rebel bullet from the heart and for a brief period spared the life of one of our brave men."

      George's widow Eliza Jane Rockwell would remarry after the war and have three children before she too dies young in 1870. George's brother Elias also received serious wounds in the Battle of Chickamauga September 19, 1864 and will be medical evacuated to Keokuk, Iowa. He survives the war and returns to Rachel in Wilmington. We lose track of him in a migration at a later date. George's other brother Silas W. Yates and Jane Wellman Yates live a long life in Wilmington. They are buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Wilmington, IL. George W. Yates is the 2G uncle to Ronald E. Yates and George W. Yates and Nidrah, Jack and Dale Roberson are 1st cousins 4 times removed.

      Death date & Location verified from his Consolidated Military Record. Very detailed records record his transfer from VA aboard the Steamer New York, his admission to US General Hospital Div 2 in Annapolis, MD.

      (Battle of Darbytown Road Alms House Henrico County, Virginia); American Civil War; October 13, 1864; On October 13, Union forces advanced to find and feel the new Confederate defensive line in front of Richmond. While mostly a battle of skirmishers, a Federal brigade assaulted fortifications north of Darbytown Road and was repulsed with heavy casualties. The Federals retired to their entrenched lines along New Market Road. Result(s): Confederate victory; Location: Henrico County; Campaign: Richmond Petersburg Campaign (June 1864-March 1865)Date(s): October 13, 1864; Principal Commanders: Major General Alfred Terry [US]; Lieutenant General Richard Anderson [CS] Forces Engaged: Corps ;Estimated Casualties: 950 total

      Name YATES, GEORGE Rank CPL Company A Unit 39 IL US INF

      Personal Characteristics, Residence WILMINGTON, WILL CO, IL Age 23 Height 5' 10 1/2 Hair BLACK, Eyes BLACK Complexion FAIR Marital Status N/A Occupation SOLDIER, Nativity WILMINGTON, WILL CO, IL, Service Record. Joined When JAN 1, 1864 Joined Where HILTON HEAD, SC, Joined By Whom LT KNAPP Period 3 YRS, Muster In JAN 25, 1864 Muster In Where HILTON HEAD, SC, Muster In By Whom N/A Muster Out N/A, Muster Out Where N/A Muster Out By Whom N/A, Remarks VETERAN APPOINTED SERGEANT AUG 16, 1865 FOR GALLANT CONDUCT ON FIELD TAKEN PRISONER PAROLED & DIED OF WOUNDS OCT 20, 1864 AT ANNAPOLIS MD

      Home in 1850: Union, Crawford, Indiana

      Name: George W. Yates Side: Union Regiment State/Origin: Illinois Regiment Name: 39 Illinois Infantry Regiment Name Expanded: 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry COMPANY: A Rank In: Private Rank In Expanded: Private Rank Out: Sergeant Rank Out Expanded: Sergeant Film Number: M539 roll 101

      Hi Ron, I have a trancription of the oldest part of Oakwood in Wilmington, not the entire cemetery.

      Lot 427--1.-Father; 2.-Emma J.; 3. Joseph WELLMAN born 11 Mar 1808 died 16 Nov 1887/Silas W. YATES born 4; Nov 1827, died 5 Sep 1905-YATES/ Emma J. YATES born 30 Nov 1861 died 10; Sept 1876/Sarah A.,wife of J. WELLMAN born 30 Jun 1815 died 3 Sep 1902

      Lot 106--1. James ROCKWELL died 16 apr 1873 aged 22yrs & 16 ds.; 2.Mother; 3.Father; 4. Francis H. MAYO born 1 May 1884 died 28 Aug 1884/Mahala ROCKWELL born 25 Mar 1821 died 13 Dec 1878/Stephen ROCKWELL born 17 Sep 1815 died 15 Aug 1886; 5. Geo. W. YATES, Color Serg't. in Co. A 39th Regt.,Ill. Vol. Vols. Died 26 Oct of a wound rec'd in battle in front of Richmond, Va.,13 Oct 1864, aged 24yrs.,4mos.,17 days; 6. To the memory of Eliza J.,wife of E.E.JAYNES, died 14 aug 1870 aged 24yrs.,4ds; 7. Lottie E. dau. of E.E.& E.J. JAYNES died 16 July 1870, aged 5mos.,3ds.; 8. Francis H.

      "More Medals of Honor were awarded then for enemy flag captures than any other act. In the 39th Illinois, Private Henry Hardenbergh of Bremen Township in Cook County was awarded an officer's commission and a posthumous Medal of Honor for killing the color sergeant of an Alabama regiment in hand-to-hand combat and capturing the Alabama regiment's flag during an 1864 battle. Protecting the flag also was important. Histories of the 39th Illinois provide reverent treatment of another member of Company A from Wilmington, Sergeant George Yates, who was fatally wounded while carrying the regimental flag. When another soldier picked up the flag to carry it along, Yates' grip proved so strong that Yates ended up being dragged for some distance before the flag could be wrested free. When Yates was taken prisoner, his captors found a small, blood-soaked piece of the flag in his grasp."