Nathaniel Sturgeon1789 - 1878 (89 years)
1. Nathaniel Sturgeon was born in 1789 in Kentucky (son of John Sturgeon and Susannah Beard); died on 14 Apr 1878 in Crawford, Indiana; was buried in Bogard Creek, Crawford, Indiana.
Nathaniel Sturgeon was married three times and had a total of 23 children. He came to Crawford Co. IN from KY in about 1809 with his father John II and three brothers. Most of them settled on the banks of the Blue River. Nathaniel built himself a log cabin the first year he was there on the Bogard Creek. The Cabin consisted of a one room with a stone fireplace and loft. One door and no windows, just gun holes so that he could protect himself by shooting at bears, mountain lions and hostile Indians in the area. He tapped Mable trees for Sugar cure and syrup that he sold in Louisville Ky.
Nathaniel married his first wife Messa Combs 21 March 1817 they made their home on Bogard Creek where they raised 9 children.
After Messa died Nathaniel married Nancy Underhill from Perry Co., IN. June 23, 1832. Together had 4 children and raised them with the first marriage children. This marriage only lasted till 1843 when Nancy died in child birth. Most of the older children were married and gone from home by now.
Sept 27, 1846 He married for the third time to Christina Mills. They married in Crawford Co., IN, which was once part of Harrison Co., IN. This union brought forth the last set of 11 children. Christina would out live Nathaniel; she lived to be 100 they say.
When Nathaniel's father John died, he land was divided among his living children. Nathaniel brought several of his sibling's parcels of land that they inherited from their father John. At one time Nathaniel was well to do for that period of time. He would loan money to family members and friends with of course a good percentage return.
Nathaniel died in 1878. He had never registered the deed to the land that he brought from his brothers and sisters so his probate was the largest in Crawford Co. IN containing 80 pages.
Nathaniel was buried in the Sturgeon Cemetery on Bogard Creek just about a mile from the log cabin that he built and raised his 23 children. Although there are no grave marks for all the children or wives, I believe that they are buried there in the family cemetery.
(Source: Lou Sturgeon firstname.lastname@example.org; Sturgeon Genealogy Web Page http://sturgeon.com-2011)
- Nathaniel Sturgeon was born on 14 Oct 1823; died on 26 Mar 1891.
- Jane Sturgeon was born in 1825 in Crawford, Indiana; died on 21 Jan 1869 in Crawford, Indiana.
- Tamer Jane Sturgeon was born in 1826 in English, Crawford, Indiana; died in in English, Crawford, Indiana; was buried in Bogard Creek, Crawford, Indiana.
- William Sturgeon was born about 1840 in Indiana.
2. John Sturgeon was born on 25 Dec 1766 in Dauphin, Pennsylvania (son of John Robert Sturgeon and Eleanor Terry); died before Nov 1830 in Riddle, Crawford, Indiana. 3. Susannah Beard was born about 1766; died before 1828. Children:
- 1. Nathaniel Sturgeon was born in 1789 in Kentucky; died on 14 Apr 1878 in Crawford, Indiana; was buried in Bogard Creek, Crawford, Indiana.
4. John Robert Sturgeon was born in 1722 in Ireland (son of Samuel Sturgeon); died about 1832 in Hart, Kentucky; was buried in Hart, Kentucky.
Listed in Tyrone Twp., Pennsylvania tax records, 1763 (100acres)
5. Eleanor Terry was born about 1722.
- 2. John Sturgeon was born on 25 Dec 1766 in Dauphin, Pennsylvania; died before Nov 1830 in Riddle, Crawford, Indiana.
8. Samuel Sturgeon was born about 1680 in Ulster, Ireland; died in Mar 1750 in Dauphin, Paxtang Twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
INDEX to the WILL BOOKS OF LANCASTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 1729 - 1850 page 46 Name: Sturgeon, Samuel Year: 1750 Book: J Volume: 1 Page: 235
5/25/2010 Ron. Thank you for having a great website. I descend from Samuel Sturgeon I who worked with William Penn during the Treaty of 1737, "Walking Purchase". Regards, Larry Dean Sturgeon
- Samuel Sturgeon was born in 1706 in Ireland; died on 17 Mar 1749 in Pennsylvania.
- Jeremiah Sturgeon was born in 1708 in Ireland; died on 1 Jan 1795 in Pennsylvania.
- Thomas Sturgeon was born in 1710 in Ireland.
- Henry Sturgeon was born in 1712 in Ireland; died in 1796 in Pennsylvania.
- Peter Sturgeon was born in 1712 in Ireland.
- William Sturgeon was born in 1716 in Ireland.
- Robert Sturgeon was born in 1718 in Ireland.
- Sarah Sturgeon was born in 1720 in Ireland.
- 4. John Robert Sturgeon was born in 1722 in Ireland; died about 1832 in Hart, Kentucky; was buried in Hart, Kentucky.
- Jeremiah Sturgeon was born in 1726 in Ireland.